MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Sep 02 2004 08:20 PM
Re: Frances - did she make the turn

Anything is possible, but the new ETA is out to 48 hrs, and so far, it is still offshore Florida, and it is significantly right of where it was. The question is, is this a bad run? It is confusing because this looks more like the older GFS, which is not out yet. It will be interesting to see when it is. From the loop I look at, it looks to be moving NNW in the very short term, and I wouldn't expect that motion to continue. As Charley showed, they'll do whatever they want, when they want, and maybe this one wants to turn right more now. There would be a couple of advantages, the first being, no direct hit, the second being, that wherever it does hit, the interaction with land could weaken it. I think I am spoiled by the fact that the models are run 4 times a day now. I remember when the LFM and NGM were twice a day, and thinking back, it's a wonder any forecast ever verified!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center