LI Phil
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:43 AM
Here's the rub...

>>> I do not mean to scare, hype or otherwise meteorologically demogouge

Alex, don't worry, the points made were not directed at you.

This is a teaching & learning forum, so far be it from me to try to have novice questions be avoided...heck..I'm about one step above novice status...

The point trying to be made is that with the strained bandwidth of the forum, questions such as "how strong will the winds be over my house?" or "should I evacuate now (after actually taking this long to decide)" are not best answered on these boards...as JK advised much earlier today (really yesterday), one should consult one's local NWS. There's probably a link on this site but if not, click here and then click on the nearest city to you. They will have local storm reports and warnings.

If your novice question involves meterology, JK & Clark (if they're on board) or other semi pros can probably answer it. If your question involves something like finding storm surge reports, local reports, shelter locations, past storm tracks, etc., then I can probably find it for you. Don't hesitate to ask, just think whether it's a matter of life and limb (ie, go to NWS) or info.

Also, Mike & John have gone to incredible lengths to supply all the links you will need on either the "Storm Links" section of the site or the main page, so check there first. If you can't get your question answered, then post it here. We'll do our best.

Everyone be safe!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center