MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 11:54 AM
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit

I may be new to posting here, but I would like to put some things into perspective. First, I have been an amateur forecaster (High School, College, and hobby) since I was a little kid, over 30 years ago. Back then, the computer models were much more inferior than the ones of today, and there has been a tremendous improvement in all forecasts. Will it ever be 100% accurate? No. The atmosphere is too complex, data over the ocean is more sparse, and there are too many variables that can occur many miles away from a storm that can have downstream effects. Also, hurricanes are on a smaller scale than mid-latitude cyclones, which makes it more difficult.
In situations like this, someone is always going to be scared and not see its worst. I would rather have that, than not be scared, and take a direct hit. Putting myself in the shoes of a forecaster, lives are at stake, and I would want to do everything I can to prevent the loss of them. If that means warning an area too large, so be it. Again, I am not affilliated with any forecasters, just my perspective.
I certainly hope the new ETA is right and it keeps the thing offshore until it gets farther north, because I feel it will have a difficult time regenerating due to its large circulation encountering land.
Many of us here (I think) like to like to try to learn, and challenge ourselves to hit a forecast. The final answer to any weather forecasts lies with the NWS.

Having said all that, I wish everyone in the path well, and prayers, and peace.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center