Bev
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 01:31 PM
Re: MLB HLS

My gosh! That graphic of the winds was both incredible and horrible. Thank you for posting it.

According that graphic Eleuthra is currently directly in the eye. The worst is yet to come. The back side of the winds will push battering waves and storm surge directly into the harbor and punish the south end. It's not looking good for Abaco either.

We have a home in Casuarina, just a tiny settlement of locals which is directly between Sandy Point and Hole In The Wall. Basically in the center of the bottom V of Abaco.

During Floyd the water came completely over the peninsula (too small to see on most maps) and emptied into the creek behind my house, then ran back out to see following the creek. All of our friends at Casuarina have thankfully evacuated and they are at Cherokee which is much higher. But I cannot even imagine the waves pounding in there right now. Even on a good day the Atlantic waves crash impressively.

Map of Bahamas as requested by someone. Good maps- click to zoom on particular island.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina/bahamas/bahamas.html

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center