AgentB
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:19 PM
Re: Frances now stationary!

Phil you are absolutely right about the weakening. Remember everybody the difference between 140mph and 105mph is not just 35mph. It is an exponential difference, and can mean the difference between major structural collapses and *only* roof damage and trees coming down(though that's not insignificant either). We can only hope that this weakening trend continues. Though that also seems to be a point of debate. I tend to side with those that believe this storm won't restrengthen to the point it was earlier today. My reasoning is that it takes a huge amount of energy to power a storm this large to the levels it once was at. Right now, being over the Bahamas(land/shallow albeit warm water) and being very close to Florida cuts down how much "power" is available to it. While the back half of the storm might be over water, the front half will be coming apart with every mile it moves further inland. With Charley that storm was small, easier to "power", had nothing but warm water and moisture laden air around it, and no land interaction between Cuba and Florida. That is why it got so powerful so fast. I had a feeling as we got closer to today and tomorrow that this storm would indeed stall out. It's reached the ridge, will interact with it a bit, then start to move "down it" to the west. Currently, with its latitude it's about even with North Miami Beach. I think we'll see the same more west than north movement Frances has exhibited for most of her life in the next few hours, but not before she drifts a bit closer to SE Florida.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center