StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 09 2004 07:14 AM
Re: Near-Category 5 Hurricane Ivan in the Caribbean Sea

Quote:

I have the opportunity to go to Naples on Sunday to board up and ride out the storm in a condo, which is located about 100 yards off the beach. I'd be paid to do this - and all expenses taken care of by the condo's owner. Any thoughts on taking on such an endeavor? The condo itself is located on the 2nd story of a 10 story building. It has no storm shutters, however is partially protected by mangroves.

I am also not sure how I should even think about getting there from the airport as the first floor is the "parking lot" and there would certainly be a loss or high probability of damage to any car I would rent...so I suppose it's a taxi. I would intend on bringing all supplies (minus plywood) with me as luggage.

So...call me crazy or lucky...what do you think of such an endeavor?

I don't think you want to be any part of being 100 yards off shore for a Cat 4 or 5. People several miles inland of Frances have told me they will evacuate next time. If the condo doesn't have hurricane shutters, it was probably built pre-Andrew. Many of those on the beach were completely destroyed by Frances. Frances was a pussycat compared to what Ivan could be.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center