recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 12 2004 03:23 PM
Re: ivan heading for the yucatan?

I dunno Bobbi....looking at that loop in the link you provided, I see nothing but SW to NE flow all across the Gulf....all the way from the Bay of Campeche through Florida. The flow directly in front of Ivan,...up to the Cuban coast, does still flow East to West ala the ridge. However, that 2nd trough is diving down quite rapidly and is now to the Gulf around LA and Texas. I still see the first trough pushing eastward off the Carolina coast. I am starting to think that there is an increasing prospect of a NE turn once Ivan reaches the Gulf. As some ppl have mentioned, the models are even starting to show a NE hook, although they tend to turn the storm after landfall. Let's watch the future model runs. I would not be surprised to see some earlier NE turns showing up. I believe that ridge might start to relenquish its grip on Ivan.

--Lou

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center