Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sun Sep 12 2004 11:42 PM
Re: Ivan Category 5 Again

Geraldo had JB on, and he's calling for a MS/AL landfall. Meanwhile, the NHC keeps saying that they are keeping their forecast track to the east of the guidance models.
The BAMM model (as mentioned in the last thread) has it making a sharp right hand turn into Florida. Not sure if I buy that one at all. Time will tell. We're getting into a period where we've been tracking this thing for almost an entire week and we don't know anymore than we did a week ago.
I heard Warren Madden talking to Geraldo and he said that they saw/encountered winds at 180-200mph at the SURFACE , plus hail and lightning. EEK. This is an unbelievable storm.
At this point, I think you could put up a map of the entire GOM region, throw a dart and have a 50/50 chance of being right.

The other thing that really grabbed my attention was this, which is from the 11pm advisory:

Quote:

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 90 MILES...150 KM... FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 200 MILES...325 KM.

They are now saying that this storm is almost as large as Frances. I'm not saying this will happen, but if things break down and the ridge actually DOES begin to push this thing to the north and the track is 100 miles offshore of Tampa Bay, we're in for a world of hurt.
Wouldn't it be the strangest thing if I had to call my Mom and tell her to evacuate down here? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center