palmetto
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Sep 13 2004 12:38 PM
Re: Ivan Turning More

I may have only been four, but I remember Elena pretty vividly. She stalled right off the coast of west central Florida, turned around, and scraped the panhandle before she finally made landfall in Mississippi. I don't think she ever actually made landfall in Florida. My grandparents had evacuated to my parents' home near St. Marks, and we all ended up piling into cars and driving to /their/ house in central Florida by the time all was said and done.

My most vivid memory of the trip was sitting in the back of my grandmother's van with the family dog licking me in the face.

Every time I start to get complacent that a storm will hit a certain place, I remember Elena.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center