Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 13 2004 06:52 PM
Re: New Vortex: 912mb

Going by the Dvorak GOES floater loop, I'd want to say that the storm is skirting just a little to the right of the forecast track. Not by much (turn on the track markers), but enough that we might be looking at a slight shift eastward of the track coming down the line at the next update.

We're not giving up our vigilance here in Lakeland, I can tell you that! The only thing that worries me around here is the way the counties called for no Monday schools back on Friday. I can understand why at the time, but the part that makes me concerned is that, should against all odds Ivan turn to the right, people may not be prepared now in time. The prevailing thought around here is "it's not coming our way", and going back to school on Tuesday is going to reinforce that thinking.

So we'll see. These hurricanes have wrecked havoc on our schools, let alone our wits. Some schools are nearly a month behind now. I was actually amazed they called Monday closures as early as they did. (Back when they did, landfall was anticipated late Monday night/early Tuesday morning). Pinellas was the only county that decided to wait until late Sat/early Sun to make the call. My wife thinks it was so they could have kids relay the word home, rather than rely on media. Dunno - but she's also wishing they waited, as she laughingly said "we're going to be teaching school in July this year"

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center