Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 13 2004 07:20 PM
Re: model shifts

Look at this link, especially the last 5 frames:

UHMET LATEST SATELLITE LOOPS

It might not be going due north, but if you catch the last 5 frames of it, it's more NNW than NW. At least that's what it looks like to me.

You can also see the bands of this storm reaching ALL the way into Daytona, Cocoa Beach and that rain band that was seen looks to me on this loop that it did indeed come from Ivan.

IMHO, I think we will see a gradual shift to the east with this track, over the next two days. It doesn't have to make landfall in Tampa to give us a whole load of problems. Also, the link that LoisCane posted does indeed show why Ivan may soon take that NNW/N track instead. It's telling that the west side of the storm seems to be getting a little sheared (if that's the right terminology) as it looks like it's getting pulled northward. It also looks like that trough/ridge/front coming down into Texas is stronger and faster than previously thought. I agree that the western tip of Cuba may be the first land Ivan actually hits since Grenada. I wouldn't look for a huge track shift, just a gradual one.

Feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect. Just be gentle, my nerves are frayed and I might cry.
But, I'm no Joe Bastardi.

Clarification on Elena: I posted too soon on the hard right into Central Florida. He pointed out the actual landfall which was NOT Central Florida, so I apologize for that error. I would have corrected it earlier, but my computer froze.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center