doug
(Weather Analyst)
Tue Sep 14 2004 03:13 PM
Re: Strengthening prior to landfall???

The current situation with the storm is that its circulation has captured much of that dry air trailing the trough along the coast and is rapidly pulling it into its western circulation. This will cause furthere weakening and its cat V and IV hours are limited if not over.
i guess the current thinking of the forecast into the central gulf coast incuded the assumption that the storm was so big and powerful it could actuall push the convergence point between the lower pressure trough and the ATL ridge north, but if it weakens some that may not occur. that point has been set up around 27N and 87west for the past couple of days and the upper air flow is radically ene from there into the big bend area. I still suspect land fall could be around Apalacheecola as I stated yesterday especially if a smaller and weaker Ivan is more likely to be influenced by these upper air flows.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center