LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Sep 14 2004 07:32 PM
explanation of ivan's movement and listen phil

Tried to explain it to some children today as: when they fill up the washer with too many pairs of jeans and it goes to the spin cycle and the machine suddenly goes berserk. There are varying sizes and areas of storms circling around the eye wall inside Ivan and when a wide area swirls around you see the eye movement wiggle or wobble wildy. The overall movement is NNW (or whatever the advisory states) but from centrifugal force alone there are some wild swings within that path.

Next... or think of it like a sixteen wheeler that makes WIDE turns.. and has an unstable load.

Phil.. relax. You are giving good advice but I'm beginning to get worried about you. Picture you sitting up at 3am beginning people on IMs to please get out of Dodge .. And, you are right on most of what you said but people don't listen and they have their own strange priorities and reasoning.

I know.. I've been there.
Andrew.. stayed on Miami Beach. My ex-husband refused to leave. Mind you... was wild, glad I was there and not Kendall where my friend's house blew away but that was rare.. could hear the ocean and the pounding surf. It aint for the faint of heart. Fun to look back at.. I was terrified at the time though.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center