Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Sep 15 2004 02:35 AM
Re: Where...........

To: lcdrgas

I know people are urging you out, but I'm quite familular with your area there at Perdido Key on the Alabama/Florida border. (near the FloraBama for you Buffett fans). I was there during Fredrick in 1979. We had a brick 2-story beach house at Orange Beach right on the beach (and it's still there now encircled with condos). We boarded up with plywood sheets that were lagbolted to the brick. We lost some asphalt shingles but that was about it. Strangely, the entire interior was covered with so much sand you had to sweep it up in buckets -- so you know we took a pounding. Interestingly, the homes on the lagoon side (around by Bear Point where I assume that you are) stood up pretty well -- again, it depended on how the house was constructed. If wind blew out the garage door or patio door then the roof usually lifted off. But those that managed to keep the wind out of the house faired pretty well.

I live in Savannah now and was the only one in my community not to evacuate when Hurricane Floyd came through (I'm not one of those crazy people who simply won't leave, but I work for an electric co-op and we stay until it's obviously a imament danger and then we go to a shelter we have identified). Anyway, like you, I watched as everyone else left and endured 10 hour drives to Atlanta. However, the next morning everybody had cleared out and, if I had choosen to leave, it would have been an easy drive to anywhere -- the roads were empty except for emergency vehicles. So, you might reconsider leaving tomorrow after the masses have already evacuated -- You may not find a hotel but, with enough gas (and you should take an extra can) you can get to a safe place.

Best wishes -- that's a pretty place where you live. I always enjoy coming back.

Mark

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center