Sissy
(Registered User)
Wed Sep 15 2004 12:55 AM
Re: For those who lose power...please read and print

These are great tips and I would like to add another one. I read this on another hurricane board and thought it was crazy, until I tried it. It works! We lost power in Orlando for 7 days and it was almost impossible to sleep at night because of the heat. Here is what I read about that worked: Right before you get into bed, wet the sheets very well with water. We were lucky enough to still have water and it does keep you cool enough to sleep. It also dries very quickly and you may have to re-wet the sheets later. This is something I was grateful to find out about....Another thing I did was to sleep with an icepack which also helped. Also, if you use battery powered lanterns, make sure you have enough 6 volt batteries for them. These were hard to find after the storm hit, and now I have stocked up on them to avoid that if another storm hits. A battery powered radio is a must..It's the only thing that will keep you from feeling totally cutoff from the world. Sissy

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center