Ormond Suzie
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Sep 15 2004 04:21 PM
Re: Ivan Strength

Quote:

I am in Maryland listening to steaming audio of WPMI in Mobile. The uninformed host of this radio station talk show is having a running discussion with callers about closing or not closing windows in your home for the approach of Ivan. He says the response is about 50/50.

I believe the correct answer is to close windows, but I have not yet found an official source for this information.
Can anyone help?

It is unbelievable the number of people who calling into this talk show who don't seem to have a clue what to do!

Thanks,

Bob

Well, here's what NOAA has to say about open windows during a tornado (just do a google search under <myth hurricane OR tornado "open windows"> to get 314 sites that debunk the myth):

Q. Should I open my windows before a tornado approaches?

A. It's a myth that open windows equalize pressure and minimize damage when a tornado strikes. Opening windows allows damaging winds to enter the structure. Leave the windows alone and immediately go to a safe place.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center