Jack Love
(Registered User)
Wed Sep 15 2004 01:00 PM
Just signed up

I've been monitoring this list now for the better part of seven days and I must say I am impressed by the knowledge of this board. I have even turned off the TV.

The Ivan-Jeanne interaction fascinates me. Though the centers of the two systems are still far apart (1000 miles?), the beginnings of upper atmosphere conjunction must be already underway. The UXMET model (link posted above) shows a very strange reaction with the remnants of Ivan being thrown back to the SW. Fascinating. But Jeanne has some catching up to do, and it seems all of the systems are moving slowly this year.

I hope all of our friends on the Gulf Coast are prepared by now. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

This morning's Washington Post published a front-page story on the devestating effects of a direct strike on New Orleans. You can read the story on the paper's website - registration required, unfortunately - but here is a link and the first few paragraphs of the article.

WashPost artcile on NO Strike

Quote:

Awaiting Ivan in the Big Uneasy
New Orleans Girds For Major Damage

By Michael Grunwald and Manuel Roig-Franzia
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, September 15, 2004; Page A01

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 14 -- Walter Maestri, an emergency manager here in America's most vulnerable metropolitan area, has 10,000 body bags ready in case a major hurricane ever hits New Orleans. As Hurricane Ivan's expected path shifted uncomfortably close to this low-lying urban soup bowl Tuesday, Maestri said he might need a lot more.

If a strong Category 4 storm such as Ivan made a direct hit, he warned, 50,000 people could drown, and this city of Mardi Gras and jazz could cease to exist.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center