tpratch
(Moderator)
Wed Sep 15 2004 05:53 PM
Re: Keep your windows closed

Quote:

I had the same situation during Frances. I just cracked open the front door to look out at the storm and the wind came in and rushed up the staircase and blew the attic ceiling door right off. This was only during a Cat. 2 storm. If it had been a Cat. 4 it may have caused the roof to lift. So, the bottom line is even if you are so eager to see out of a shutterred up house, don't open the door during the height of the storm. I only opened it a crack and this happened. Don' t let any air in.

I have a NW facing front door and a SE facing (go figure) rear door.

I could go out the front door without letting any wind in during Frances, but any attempt to open the rear door would have lots of bad juju coming in. I stuck to the front door as my primary mode of egress when I wanted to be outside during the nastiness.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center