StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Sep 15 2004 10:53 PM
Re: 7th strongest cane

Hello to All…

As Yogi would say, Déjà vu, all over again!!!

When I was a girl….many, many long eons ago.. my father took me with him to visit a Marine Corps buddy who was a Ham operator. I don’t remember the name or location of the hurricane, but we talked to folks in and around the threatened area. That memory has stayed with me for almost half a century.

Reading the posts on this board remind me so much of that experience. The knowledge that is shared, the heartfelt wishes sent to those in harm’s way, a camaraderie that transcends age and technical know-how. Thank you to all for sharing..

Re: the earlier question about open/closed windows --- this is how I remember it. We cracked a window on the “calm” side and then reversed the process when the wind changed direction. Can’t remember why, just that we did. Might have had something to do with having jalousie windows. Do people still use those? Haven’t seen them in years.

I have been following storms since that experience as a girl... and, as a 4th generation Floridian (partly raised on the Space Coast), I have ridden through a few, including one while living on the barrier islands of Brevard Co. (not something I would recommend). HOWEVER , I have been living far away for the past 18 years!!! I currently live in Crawfordville (Wakulla Co.), and things have been pretty calm, so far. We are as prepared as can be and I am more concerned with tornadoes in my location. We have already had a tornado spotted in north Leon Co.

I will now go back to my wallflower position (don’t like the word “lurker”). Keep up the good work and my prayers to all.

SK

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center