Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Sep 15 2004 11:20 PM
Re: Question

Shout out to all the lurkers who have registered and begun posting. Many boards have their good qualities, but CFHC has always had that personal feel /mush off

As to the Pensacola Christian question, I'm sure they know what they are doing. I haven't been following Pensacola on the local sites, but it would appear they will take a pretty vicious hit. If the school believes they should be on the lower floors, and assuming they are in a brick structure, they're probably going to be okay. I'm only guessing but the reasons they probably are moving your daughter and her fellow students to the lower floors is a) windspeeds are much lower at the ground than they are at like 40' (and ^ of course). b) It doesn't flood in Pensacola (and other NWFL coastal communities) the way it does in other cities. The soil is very sandy. The land slopes down to the Gulf from reasonable elevations. There is ample natural areas (including lawns) to absorb deluges, etc. The Beachs can flood with tidal surges, and theoretically, a setup could be there to empty the sound or bay onto adjacent land areas (Gulf Breeze, etc.).

She should be okay, but she'll have some frayed nerves. Hopefull, there will be a lot more praying than swearing since it's a Christian college afterall .
-----------------------------------------------
Nothing ever really happened in New Orleans. Report from here is a windy day off of work. For whatever reason, the rainshield hasn't been able to build over to Jefferson Parish. Louisiana's worst hit was probably down in lower Plaquemins (boot of LA) - Boothville, Venice, Buras, etc. and then lower St. Bernard. Some of the wind gusts down in Buras were upper TS before the reporter moved north 60 miles. Supposedly Belle Chase Highway south of Ft. Jackson (60 miles s. of Belle Chase and home of the sweetest citrus on the planet) is closed. And LA Highway 1 leading down to Grand Isle is closed somewhere around Fouchon or Golden Meadow. It's blowing pretty good here, but it's just a nice night. I've got a bunch of windows and doors open blowing the crud out of the house . I'd say max gusts are probably upper 30's/low 40's. Clouds keep rolling by from the NE (feeder bands without the rain).

Looks like the heaviest rainfall (can't confirm because NWS is running too slow when you can even get it) seems to be from Panama City Eastward toward the Apalachee Bay communities. (*best gust of the night - blew a bunch of stuff off this desk*)
-------------------------------------------------
As to the flooded yard in Tampa Bay, was that rainwater or tidal?
----------------------------------------------------
Frank P - This Abita Fallfest is for you.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center