Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Sep 16 2004 06:30 PM
Re: Jeanne

Quote:

My recollection as well. Not to say that many of the "news" stations don't obviously chomp at the bit when there is a chance at a big weather story. The point is that the title "National Hurricane Center" implies a certain level of expertise and care in obtaining information before diseminating it to the public. In the case of Charley, obviously, that wasn't done, since the aircraft that would have provided the most accurate information were not even being used. Not to let this lead on to government conspiracies, etc., but you certainly must be able to understand that most people realise a report given is only as good as the information it's based upon (setting aside the matter of whether the information is being interpreted correctly. In this equation, the constant can be inferred that the people at the NHC have sufficient knowlege to interpret the information they receive.) Please forgive ramblings.

I remember distictly receiving recon reports that reported winds were up to Cat 4 status just as Charley turned toward the coast. THis was a couple of hours before landfall.
The planes were flying into the storm and were reporting.

At least that's how I remember it.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center