Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Sep 16 2004 03:03 PM
Re: Ivan Aftermath

Well, even here in Tallahassee, I'm dealing with the aftermath of Ivan.

Many tornado signatures on radar overnight, leading to a few warnings and a few tornadoes on the ground. None here in the city, though, but in nevertheless affecting others around here.

Lost power around 4:30am when one band passed directly over town, but then went to sleep and woke up about 8:45am to find power on. However, I was awoken for good again at about 11:30am by a phone call saying "how many times if the power going to go out?" Well, it's out until tomorrow at my place, as a wind gust knocked a large branch onto a power line, which sagged and caused a lightpost to snap in half, bringing down the post. It knocked out power and the winds are a bit too high to get up there, so they've told us we can't expect to get power back until tomorrow. Thus, anything on my end will be severely limited until then.

Just goes to show you the effects of the storm can - and do - reach far away from the center. It is an isolated event, but it only takes one branch coming down to cause something like this.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center