Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 16 2004 11:04 PM
Re: article on new models, and improved forecasting.

Quote:

This would lead to academia developing tools for companies and the government essentially becoming a data source and nothing more...as well as to increased costs for weather forecasts for the general public.

You're being polite and tactful. What the commerical interests want is government subsidized weather data - the government pays to put in the instrumentation, data collection, quality control, and turn it over to the commericals so they can turn around and sell the general public the data we've already paid for in taxes.

Quote:

As such though, it does not surprise me that Accuweather - one of the big proponents of the change - is more inclined to present their own forecast rather than the NHCs. If anything, they are good businessmen; weathermen, though, that's another story.

You're exceptionally tactful. You've said what I've been thinking of AW ever since I stumbled across this site and started reading all the glowing praise for AW. And you did it in a nice, gentlemanly way.

I'm in Tallahassee, too, but I didn't see to much damage - just some limb damage (so far).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center