MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 17 2004 12:53 PM
Re: Another day, Another storm

Some years some models do better than other years. I almost stopped looking at the NOGAPS because for a while, it didn't do well, and the GFS had the upper hand. This year, the GFS has had a tougher time, but I still have to give it props for picking up Ivan's interaction with the trof in the east.
I can give you another real-life example about picking models.....
In 1996 (I think that was the snowy one) I said that "If it begins with an "E", it's good enough for me". The ECMWF and ETA did very well with the winter storms that year. So well, in fact, that the ETA was the only model predicting sig. snow for my area, I went with it based on an H2O image that told me the other models were out to lunch, and it verified very well. Got 7" on that one when 1" was the original prediction.
Some models handle PNA patterns better, or La Nina situations better.
El Nino is a whole different story because there is an extra jet that has to be accounted for in the forecasts, and increases difficulty.

That is a long-winded way of saying, don't get locked into one model. Some years, they do better than others.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center