Ricreig
(User)
Fri Sep 17 2004 03:54 PM
Re: Ivan Storm Surge?

Quote:

I agree with you but would like to add this point...... but NONE of the sections were totally distroyed or missing like in Florida, maybe this bridge was built better than the Florida one, it certainly was newer at the time.. ... yeah, it took a long time to repair but I think they just realigned the bridge segments, they did not have to rebuild it, like they will have to do in Florida... wind does not do that type of damage... that's storm surge... and it was pretty bad with Ivan...

I whole-heartedly agree, it *was* surge damage. From the photos of the Ivan damage, the lower sections were the ones damaged, the higher overpass portions were apparantly undamaged....the Biloxi bridge had the most damage to the highest parts of the bridge, 40+ feet above the water level, and the lowest sections, like the old bridge were probably under water during the most violent of the weather. Either way, I definitely feel that both bridges suffered from CAT-V storm surge levels, regardless of wind speed....I agree that wind could not have caused this type of damage. I was stationed as an instructor at KAFB in BIloxi during Camille, and I see many similarities to the damage and track and power of Ivan to Camille other possibly than wind speed at landfall, the tornados, surge, damage signatures all give me nightmares again. I truly empathise with all who had to live through this 'Camille revisited' experience with Ivan.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center