Ricreig
(User)
Sat Sep 18 2004 09:30 AM
Re: Skeetobite's forecast wins!

Quote:

My husband and I had a big laugh this morning when we looked at NHC's forecast for Jeanne: with it's big "circle of uncertainty" it looked like the tongue-in-cheek forecast that Skeetobite made yesterday!

Skeetobite's forecast can be found on page 8 of this current thread.
And for comparison...HRC's 5-day forecast map

His forecast maps are great, aren't they? He obviously has a sense of humor too. He did a great depiction of the NHC's uncertainty in their official forecast.

Actually, Skeetobite's 'forecast' maps *are*, to the best of his ability, a depiction of the official NHC forecasts transferred to a much more detailed map showing landmarks and roads and other features that help us 'unwashed masses' locate ourselves relative to the forecast track and because of the way he shows the wind fields, it gives one the ability to asses the possible effects of the storm winds for our specific location IF the NHC forecast proves accurate.

I think his maps are a valuable depiction of the fact that storms are not lines of points but a wide *area* of effect, a swath. Too many people think if a storm 'misses' them by a few miles, they are OK....The folks around (and especially to the East) of Mobile will attest to the fact 'it was not just a point of landfall'. Of course, the cente line *is* important as the effects to the right of the path are often much worse than those to the left, sspecially where storme surge is a factor.

Anyway, lest we forget, Skeetobite is not a weather forecaster, but has great talant translating the OFFICIAL forecast from the NHC into pretty and I might add, darned accurate, depictions of that forecast in an easy to understand format.

I think it would be nice if the NHC could hire him, or his firm, to supply them with his maps so they could put them up on their official board. It would also be great if the networks and newspapers would syndicate his depictions when they show the path and discuss the forecast with their viewers and readers.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center