Ricreig
(User)
Thu Sep 23 2004 03:41 AM
Re: Jeanne better turn ...

Quote:

Ricreig ala andrew is where it went from the postion of 28N and 67.5W close to andrew then south then west to near miami. I said this will do the same up to landfall or near landfall but 150miles north of there.Also said wasnt sure if it will hug the coast or move across after that. So I didnt say it will cross the state like andrew, but it could. Right now Im looking at new data and model runs to give a landfall (if any) by tomorrow midday.

At 62, please allow me a little senility...I was working from memory but I equated 'ala Andrew' as implying a similar track. I wasn't seeing the similarity up to the coast line of Florida then a turn, albeit 150 miles north of the MIA area. That clarified, you and I are in substantially similar mind-sets. I am not a serious amateur forecaster with your skills so I feel good that I'm even in your ballpark, forecastwise. While I teach aviation weather, that is nowhere near the skills needed to make tropical weather forecasts. Just enough to keep my student pilots weather-savvy enough to avoid flying into a thunderstorm or squall line. But, in my lifetime, I've seen a lot of weather and through observation more than education, I do often form correct, or nearly so, opinions as to what is likely to happen. This season has not helped my reputation of making good forecasts regarding these storms, but it has helped me make some good decisions about getting out of Dodge in a timely manner this season. Keep up the good work Scott, you give this site (along with a notable few others) a real good reputation for making good forecasts. Often as good as the pros, occasionally better. A big differance between the more weather literate of our members, unlike most of the NHC forecasters (maybe Stewart excepted) is that your and their forecasts explain *why* it will likely happen. The NHC and most of the pros just say 'this is the way it will be'. Jason, as a pro, and a valuable member of this forum, does a good job with the 'why'....when he has time and isn't ducking tornados. Again, keep up the good work....right or wrong, you are an asset to this forum. Thankfully, you are quite often right.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center