danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 23 2004 05:18 AM
Re: Nhc is missing up tonight big time(A big rant)

Good points. As far as it being here I would say probably okay. It's up to Ed and the moderators.
Apparently NHC/TPC has been having some in house bashing going on over Ivan II. They even mentioned "animated discussion" in one of the latest Ivan II discussion's. I'm sure they have conferenced with the WMO. World Meteorological Organization, and are playing by the rules.
Hurricane Mitch-'98, did somewhat of a loop over the Yucatan, and came right back across FL as a Tropical Storm.
Under the circumstances-many, many storms this year. I would cut NHC some slack. They usually have more time between storms, and don't have near as many storms beating on their door. They make go back and regroup, eat crow, or have a party after the season is over.
As long as they give us enough warning to Get Out..
We've all learned that the 'canes are unpredictable. There is better forecasting than there was in 1969. But pinning down the precise point or within 65 miles is almost impossible. As we saw with Ivan I. He was dead set on Mobile, and made a right hook at the last hour.
Plan out your routes. More than one route. Know where you are going to stay/stop. Keep your papers and valuables ready to go. Good luck, and here's hoping and praying that no one needs it.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center