Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 23 2004 11:50 AM
Re: Steering Currents

Maybe I didn't phrase it right, here's what I meant to say:

If Mayport sends it ships out to sea, then yes, they would be expecting a hit. I believe (and with all the storms we've had, I could be wrong) that he said the ships were about to go out to sea when Frances was approaching and at the last minute they cancelled it. That was because Frances turned and hit the central East coast of Florida and was forecast to go across the state, not UP the state as previously believed. I don't think they ever did anything with Ivan because Ivan was never expected to be a east coast storm, so I'm pretty sure it was Frances.

If they believe the same scenario that happened with Frances will occur with Jeanne, then they more than likely would NOT move them out to sea, as she would pose no catastrophic threat to the ships. They made it through Frances and I'm sure they've seen worse out at sea on a regular trip. Of course, they will have information sooner than we will, so I would *guess* that they are preparing the ships to go out and they have 4 days until it even hits Central/South Florida, so I don't know exactly how soon they would make the decision to go out to sea. It's a lot of manpower and a 24 hour job, so they don't just do it to do it.
So, what I mean when I said if they "don't" move the ships out to sea it will make you sick to your stomach was that they don't expect it to have a large effect on Mayport Naval Station.
Hope I cleared that up.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center