LI Phil
(User)
Fri Sep 24 2004 02:47 AM
Cantore

Thanks for the article Frank...trying to wipe the tears out of my eyes as I type this.

Long time posters ignore what follows...I've said it before...newbies listen up.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Cantore during Floyd '99 at point lookout on Long Island. By this point floyd was transitioning from a hurricane to a ts, so needless to say, it wasn't quite the storm we're used to seeing him in.

I stayed for more than an hour, along with maybe 30 people. There was some wind, maybe 30-40 mph at the time but no rain. The sand was being whipped up into a frenzy and pelting any exposed skin.

After Jim did his intro and then his 2-3 minute "spot", he could have retreated into the TWC van. Did he? No, he took most of the remaining 20 minutes till his next spot to talk with the people who had gathered. He was holding an anomemeter, which was only registering about 17 mph (it was defective), but a dad with his 10 year old son (guessing at the age) also had THE SAME BRAND anomometer which was registering more accurate speeds. The kid let him use it and on the air he credited the kid!

Somewhere in my dungeon condo I have a photo of me & Jim. He posed for photos with anyone who wanted them.

He made me look tall as about his only flaw, if you can call it that, is he is rather short. But I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley with a fight on my hands...that's for damn sure.

Say what you will about Mr. Cantore, but he is a one in a million, top notch gentleman of the highest caliber.

Now go read the article Frank P. Posted. I didn't know any of that personal stuff...just makes the man more amazing! Bash TWC all you want (god knows I do), but if you ever say a bad word about JC you will be hearing from me...

I know a number of posters on here, including some of the mods, have met Jim, and I'm sure they can all attest to his character...

JC...the main reason to still watch TWC...

Sorry for the rambling diatribe...but that article FP posted just set off a nerve...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center