SirCane
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 24 2004 10:21 AM
I'm Back! From the Ivan War Zone!

I'm sure you all saw a lot of footage of Pensacola on the news. We took an EXTREMELY bad hit here in Pensacola. The East quadrant of the Ivan eyewall went over Pensacola-which means we got NO break from the eye. We took a constant POUNDING from about 11PM Sept. 15 to about 5AM Sept. 16th. The wind gauge at Pensacola NAS hit 123mph before the gauge was destroyed. I JUST NOW got phone service. I'm running this computer on a generator. It's been a little over a week and no power yet. Ivan RUINED the main bridge on I-10 that I use just about every day. Traffic right now is KILLER. It takes over an hour for me to get where I want to go! My house survived despite the 10 trees down all over the property. I lost a few shingles-but I was very lucky compared to the folks down the road that live on the water....
One house on my street DISAPPEARED and several others lost EVERYTHING. The storm surge had to have been that of a Category 5 Hurricane! Ivan should have been kept as a 135mph CAT4 Hurricane right up to landfall because that's exactly the damage that it caused. 130mph CAT3 isn't at all different from a CAT4. The water came half way up my street. I never thought that would happen. INCREDIBLE. Fortunately it didn't make it this far up the street. Ivan surpassed all our expectations. Hurricane Opal was bad. Ivan was WORSE!! It's been literally a war zone around here. Gasoline is like gold.

It looks to me like Ivan's total bill will surpass that of Hurricane Andrew. Ivan was a HUGE storm compared to Andrew so the damage was more widespread. Not to mention-Ivan destoryed a major four lane highway bridge that folks from All over Florida to California use!!

I guess that's it for now. It's going to take a long time for folks here to get back to normal.

Jeanne--STAY AWAY! Do not touch Florida. Do NOT cross Florida. GO AWAY!!!!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center