Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 24 2004 07:44 PM
Thoughts from Lakeland

Both Denis Phillips and Tom Terry are harping on the "you folks in Polk county REALLY need to keep an eye on this track...because IF it shifts to the west, your weather will be much worse than it is already forecasted to be."

I don't believe that people in my area (Lakeland Highlands) even know that Jeanne is coming. When I went to Publix, there is water stocked from floor to ceiling and they have batteries ON SALE.

I would expect a track shift to the west at 11pm and after that there really isn't much wiggle room for Florida, unless something just takes a big chomp out of the High (like maybe the shark from JAWS. I still believe it will turn to the NW but not until after landfall and I still believe it *may* exit off the west coast of Florida...although, that MAY be stretching it just a bit.

BTW...if anyone here in Polk County has access to Channel 20 (Orlando's Channel 9) Tom Terry is coming out with the forecasts as soon as he gets them from NHC.

I did hear they opened 8 shelters in Polk County. I would imagine the high school across the street was one of them.

Hubby and the kids went to the football game, so it is nice and QUIET for the time being.

This is pretty cool: my brother's girlfriend works at TWC and she got me set up on NOTIFY! I got a phone call at 4:49pm from Jim Cantore telling me that my area...Lakeland...was under a TS Watch. Of course, it was a recorded message, but it's still really cool to hear HIS voice telling ME about the Severe Weather alert.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center