recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Sep 25 2004 01:51 AM
Florida Attitude

I have witnessed in person today what several have posted about regarding storm apathy here in Central Florida. The tension reached an unbearable peak during the days leading up to Frances' landfall. The shock of Charley being far worse than we imagined could happen this far inland jolted nearly everyone into some sort of storm preparation for Frances.
This time around, the attitude is more a resigned acceptance. I have actually noticed yesterday and earlier today, that several homes in my neighborhood were taking their plywood DOWN!
I work in a local department store and, in the days immediately prior to Charley and Frances, business was non-existent. People were too pre-occupied to shop. Sure, the grocery and home improvement stores were packed, but clothing stores did no business. Today, we were very busy with people casually browsing....a totally different attitude from before.
Even tonight at the grocery store saw very little lines.....huge stocks of water, canned goods & batteries....no rush to grab these typical hurricane supplies. I certainly hope that Jeanne turns out to be a fizzle, because I fear the lack of preparation could come back and haunt many people.

One other way to look at this situation: maybe everyone still HAS tons of supplies and feel they have remained in a storm prep mode with little additional action necessary.

--Lou

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center