Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Sat Sep 25 2004 03:40 AM
Re: Satellite Loops

Quote:

Okay I'll try to straighten the satellite/ eclipse mess out.
The satellites are in an eclipse every night right now, from 0345Z -0645Z (roughly). The eclipse is caused by the satellites being in a direct path between Earth and the Sun. The Sun's "noise" level overrides the satellites signal. None of the satellite's transmissions/ pictures would be received on Earth, so they shut the batteries off, by remote control, to conserve battery life.
I Do Not believe the batteries are replaceable. I'll check with FrankP tomorrow and verify that. Once the batteries die the sats float around as space junk. Or fall back to Earth as space junk chunks.

slightly off topic, but aren't these puppies in Geosynchronous orbit? which means when they fail, they're not going to fall back to earth for a really... really... really... long time (I'd say more likely to be swallowed up by the sun than fall back to earth

back To jeanne... The explosion of convection on the *southeast and south side is frightening*
on the NHC, I don't know what the dark color is past
red, but it's got a lot of it (-80 or colder?).. and it's about to go over
the bahamas. about the only good news, it looks like the dry air is still kinda keeping the storm from absolutly exploding in intensity at this point. The eye looks smaller and it's still tracking basicly due west. 26.3N and 75.9 West as of 07:15 Zulu.

Sigh
Mark

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center