Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sat Sep 25 2004 07:29 AM
Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent....

I got about 3-1/2 hours sleep today. I have packed up sleeping bags, pillows, food, etc. to drop off at the HS shelter this morning, as that's where the kids' football games will be played. Personally, I think that they should call off the games because this thing is not Frances, it's moving and it seems like everytime I look, it's moving faster...and getting bigger. I have had a bad bad feeling about this storm from the beginning and even though I know some people thought I was nuts, a Cat 4 was NOT out of my realm of possibility. I said last night (or this morning) that I was afraid this thing would bomb out before making landfall and I think that's exactly what might happen.
Frank---what will happen with Jeanne if she goes over Lake Okeechobee---I think that the Orlando channel showed water temps of 87 degrees. Wouldn't that just make this whole weakening trend upon landfall a mute point? I mean, could we be looking at a Cat III as far inland as Lakeland?
I don't know whether to cry, throw up or throw something.

I will make a suggestion: what if the people here on the board who live here in Florida gave our friends who live in places like MS, AL, TX, LI, etc. our relatives phone numbers so that they can relay information to them in case we can't? I know that it was hardest on my Mom when she couldn't get through during Frances. Since we're almost like family here anyway, our loved ones would be getting information from people that know about the storms and care about US.

Just a suggestion.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center