Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:55 AM
Heads UP, Polk County!

The beginning of the effects on Polk County are about to hit us in about 30-45 minutes. Max Mayfield just said that we are going to see the beginnings of the worst between 3-6am.
Denis Phillips is expecting the track to shift further south...which is even worse for us.
So if you're not prepared right now, get ready. I just heard a large "BOOM" and I don't know what the heck it was, but ABC News reporter in Bartow just talked about a large explosion---more than likely a transformer. If that's what I heard, ...well, I'm ten miles from Bartow.
Hang on to your hats, folks. Get your flashlights ready, and you may want to put fresh batteries in a radio because if the power goes off there are many radio stations that broadcasting simultaneously with the various stations---and you're not going to want to go through this without a reassuring voice from somewhere.
Other things: IF you lose power, unplug your appliances that you aren't using (if you don't have a generator) such as your stereo system, washers and dryers, stove, computers, etc. If you have the old-fashioned cord phones, find them and plug them in because even if we lose power, we may not lose phone service.
Just trying to pass on information as they give it out on the news stations.
Ok, a tree branch just hit the side window of my house. Oh yeah, if you have a fireplace, close the flue. Don't want torrential rains coming in from the chimney.
I am running on pure adrenaline right now and when this is all said and done I think I'll be sleeping for a week.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center