Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:26 PM
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast

To my neighbors in Florida, I'm so sorry you've been hit again. Help is on the way from your neighbors in GA, just as soon as Jeanne gets by us.

I can only speak for most of us that are right on the coast when I say that we've been spared any major destruction. Jeanne is a mere shell of herself now. It's pretty windy on my little island at the moment, but it's nothing compared to what you folks in Florida have gone through. Like I said in an earlier post somewhere on this board, I'm 20 minutes by boat to the ocean, and not much land separates me from the Atantic, mostly marsh . Gusts are probably up to 50-55 tops, and those are few and far between. However, the tide is coming in right now, and the Ogeechee is fast and WILD. My neighbor's floating dock is now taller than his stationary dock, and the ramp is up in the air. The tidal ditch that runs along side his house is filled with water, with more water to come because the tide is far from high. It's possible that the Ogeechee could spill into my back yard a little. Time will tell. I suspect that the little asphalt road (that is eye level with the marsh) that rides me onto my island will be covered by water when the tide reaches its peak. I'll probably be stranded here for a few hours until the tide goes out. This has happened before, especially with high spring tides and is nothing new. My major concern at the moment are tornadoes. We're under a tornado watch for most of the day. Hopefully, they will not materialize. I hate those things!!!! And it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a waterspout in the distance. Ugh!

I do know one thing, if more than a category 1 hurricane is forecasted to hit me, I'm outta here! Just looking at my river right now is enough to convince me that it would not be wise to stay home and ride out the storm. My island would be under water for sure.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center