FreakedInFlorida
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 07:11 PM
Re: Cartoon

LOL, that is a hilarious cartoon and definitely one that can relate.

A couple shelter things:
One guy bought his whole house to the shelter and carried it in by the cartload. I was shocked they let him bring all that stuff, but they did.

During the storm, someone looked out and saw that we'd left our car door open enough for the light to be on inside. Afraid it will drain the battery, my dad convinced one of the police to let him go out during the eye and close it. Was kinda brave, but somewhat stupid too. I would have just got a jump in the morning, but that's my father.

35 cars got damaged from gravel pebbles that were on the roof of the shelter. Windows were busted out or shattered. 27 cars in that same shelter got damaged during Frances, including ours. We didn't get hit the second time around though.

Two hours after the official end to the storm, we were told we'd have to go home or move to a new shelter, so we packed up and went home. The streets were messy, no traffic lights and lots of flooding and blocked roads. Kinda wish they'd let us stay like they did last time, but made it home alright. We didn't move to a new shelter because we had a car and we'd brought 3 lawn chairs and supplies. Not worth loading the car and unloading it at that point.

Doing the happy dance that there is nothing in the tropics to get us for now. Can take all the break we can get.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center