Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Wed Sep 29 2004 10:05 PM
Re: Accuweather & President Bush's Visit to Polk County

Hi, Katie! Yes, Denis Phillips is the one who wears the suspenders. He's a little arrogant, but he's a good met. No, he isn't a friend of mine, LOL! I just email them so much that it's like "Dear Colleen," Or, "Hi, Col", LOL!
My favorite mets are Steve Jerve and Jen Hill on WFLA New Channel 8. I worked at the station on Mondays as a volunteer for the "8 On Your Side" helpline, and Steve gave me a wonderful tour of the weather center, along with John Winter ---who's a HUGE FLIRT--- and he let me try out how to do a weather forecast with a green screen behind you and how to point towards Florida (which is actually to your left when you're on TV) instead of California, which is on your RIGHT. He showed me the models, where the weather statements come in, etc. It was a lot of fun. He's very down to earth and what you see is what you get.
BTW....President Bush made his visit to Lake Wales today....but BayNews9 said, "If you live in Polk County, go outside and you might get a glimpse of Marine 1." So we did, (Okay I dragged the boys out by their hair! J/K) and sure enough about 25 minutes after he left MacDill AFB, we heard the three helicopters moving slowly from the east and then WHAM! all of the sudden we saw Marine 1 ! Thing 2 (Mark, the youngest) was shouting at the top of his lungs:

"HI, MR. PRESIDENT! CAN YOU SEE ME? I CAN SEE YOU! WE WON OUR FOOTBALL GAME ON SATURDAY AND I MADE TWO TACKLES! I'M GOING TO VOTE FOR YOU TOMORROW! MY MOM LOVES YOU! A LOT! MORE THAN MY DAD, PROBABLY! BYE, MR. PRESIDENT! BYE! GOOD LUCK!"

My neighbor, who is in the military, was outside and he nearly fell over because he was laughing so hard. He assured my son that he was POSITIVE the President heard him. I have no idea where he gets his lungs from! You certainly couldn't MISS him, as he was wearing bright orange shorts and and a lime green shirt! (And no, I didn't pick out that outfit!!! )
OT...I'm watching Hardball, and Andrea Mitchell is REALLY having a bad hair day. Doesn't she have a beautician??? Sheesh.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center