LI Phil
(User)
Wed Dec 01 2004 05:19 PM
Skeetobite Map Project

The following post came from Skeeter in the previous thread. I wanted to repost it here to give him an extra special holiday shout.

Awesome dude, just awesome! Good luck with the NHC! CFHC ROCKS. THANK YOU MIKE & JOHN FOR THIS SITE!!!

Here's Skeeter's post:

Man, I was wondering why my ears were burning!

Here’s my vote (users should be able to zoom in on their area for street level graphics):

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of all scenarios: Use Skeetobite's graphics, superimpose the NRL wind fields and put the dotted 'cone of uncertainty' lightly around it all
-Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some quick notes on the Skeeobite map project. First, let me say this has been an enjoyable and productive hobby. I am grateful for the opportunity to deploy any talents that may be helpful to others. Thanks to everyone for your feedback and kind comments.

NOAA, (specifically) NHC, NASA, Disney, Busch Gardens - et al, the Governors’ office in Tallahassee, every military base along the coast from Texas to Virginia and all military bases inland in Florida used Skeetobite.com daily during the hurricane season.

None of this would have been possible without CFHC. Prior to moving to Florida in July, I bookmarked this website and followed the discussion daily since early February.

I have contacted the NHC and offered to meet with them to discuss the lessons learned from ordinary folks and professionals who used our maps. If you view all of the archived maps, you will see how they evolved during the season based on feedback from the users of CFHC, end users and meteorologists all over the country.

Thanks everyone.
Jonathon Grant
Lakeland, FL

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center