Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Tue Apr 26 2005 03:58 PM
Re: long island

Quote:

that freaks me out man..what are the chances of a cat 1-2 and the chances of cat 3-5 hitting the island..im curious ..thanks..i apreciate it.ryan

The water up here can only support a strong tropical storm (at the highest water temp) but's that not to say we can't get a strong hurricane. We have, and history will repeat itself. If a hurricane were to theoretically track up here, you would need one heck of a trof digging down into the east coast, or some other freak weather event. Also, by the time the storm would be up here there would have to be some extra tropical transition of some sort, unless it was racing up here at 60 mph, either way both situations are not good. So you can obviously deduce from this, that there is a much higher likelyhood of a a low intensity tropical feature coming up here then a strong one. The probabilities I do not know...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center