Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri May 13 2005 05:47 PM
Re: straight analogs

Ed - you're entirely correct. Erin is my only storm that I've truly been through -- the center passed directly over my house -- but I was in Orlando at the time. The most we saw was 50-55mph winds in localized areas, which pales in comparison to what you saw. I should be a bit more careful in my words, as it only takes one storm -- as we found out so many times over last season.

As for the SW Caribbean -- there is some sort of circulation, but it was not captured by the last QuikSCAT scan (sometime this morning); however, it did show some pretty strong winds on the north side -- up to 50kt (mostly rain-flagged vectors, though). There should be another scan in the next few hours that may provide more insight. The convection -- really an MCS (mesoscale convective system) -- helped provide the surface pressure falls to get the circulation going; it'll be another matter if the circulation can maintain itself. Judging from visible imagery, which in itself is somewhat obscured on the south side by high clouds & convection, I would be willing to say that it is a near-surface or surface circulation that has developed. Convection near the center has died for the most part (save to the east) for now; something's going to have to organize again to keep the circulation from opening up on the southern side, however.

Wind shear has decreased in the region, but is still a bit on the high side. Any movement northward is going to rapidly take the system into a region of higher shear; the jet also appears to be slowly approaching again from the west, not a good sign for development. 18Z NHC analysis doesn't call for a low to develop there any longer, though neither does it analyze something there now. However, while I typed up the post initially, NRL put out a 91L INVEST on the system...talk about timely. Models still try to build the ridge in the SW Caribbean, but not for another 2 days. By then, whatever is there will have either developed extratropically or simply dissipated. Nevertheless, there is a narrow window for something; I just don't see it happening. Good practice for analysis, though. Ultimately, we could well end up like last May's Hispaniola storm, as previously alluded to here on the board.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center