Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sun May 15 2005 04:26 AM
Re: Wrong Forum But I Don't Care...

Well at least we can agree to disagree on this one (sounds like your normal weather office to me). Some folks think that this may really be nothing more than an attempt to get the 'private weather service' ball rolling again - and they just might be correct. Obviously for a few grand, anybody can capture satellite data, however radar stuff is a bit more difficult. Does the NWS tend to exaggerate the impact? Of course, but then again I would expect them to. It is also fair to state that the 'lots more free data' that you speak of is also not mentioned in the bill. Free data at 4km isn't really too exciting if you end up paying for the 0.25km stuff that you now enjoy. The only thing wrong about the SecCom decision process is that those decisions will ultimately be guided by the law (and political pressure and funding pressure). Made for a lively discussion though!
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center