Ricreig
(User)
Sun May 15 2005 07:32 PM
Re: Mr. Santorum's Legislation

Quote:

Thanks for posting that Phil. I think there is enough there to read between the lines, but the memo doesn't even address all of it. ... I'm all for the real-time access to the data so there can be no mistaking its validity. But as a taxpayer, I'm not getting anything for free. I paid for the data that is collected. If I excercise my rights as an American to purchase additional content, then that should be my perogative or anyone else's. ...

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/promotion.asp?dir=aw&page=wxinfoaccess

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for that URL. Accuweather does put on its' good face here, but it does leave out the fact the bill does NOT guarantee such free information if they are willing to provide the same information. Missing are the words 'at no additional cost to the public'. In fact, it appears that if commercial entities are simply "willing" to provide the information (not necessarily at no additional cost), then the NWS would not be able to do so. This bill is badly worded and while it may be attempting to right a wrong, it is falling way short of that goal by making a legal pool of quicksand out of the attempt.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center