Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Wed May 18 2005 09:24 PM
Re: Adrian/Arlene

Quote:

ok...i thought i knew this stuff but obviously i'm confused...

adrian is currently a ts in the EPAC, but the general consensus is that she will achieve Hurricane Status before landfall.

assuming she maintains at least ts strength in her trek across CA and emerges into the atlantic basin...is she still adrian? if she drops to td status but then 'regains' ts strength in this basin, does she then get 'reclassified' as arlene?

i know this is a rare and but still possible scenario...

and on a related, but slightly off-topic side note...if she becomes "arlene", this will count as the first named storm in the atlantic, and also for the cfhc "season forecast" contest, right?

glad to be back moderating...heh...but i could have waited a couple more weeks for this...

no, i believe the contest was more so "when will the first named hurricane form by?" or something like that...

nevermind the above, it was when will the first named system form...and it looks like i would win that part of the contest then. that is if the storm theoretically became a ts in the atlantic which at this point is very hard to determine.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center