Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Jul 05 2005 07:27 PM
Re: sats

Thanks for the info. Inverters come in ratings as low as 75 watts, maybe even less. If 400 or 750 is not enough wattage, I have seen models available online in the 1000 to 1500 watt range for $100 to $150 or so. The one at Lowe's for $29.99 is a good deal. I seriously doubt you'll find a comparable model for less. Even Walmart is about $15 more. The one I have, the 400, includes a cigarette lighter adapter, as well as battery clips, for heavier electrical loads. The 750 does not include the cigarette lighter adapter, otherwise I probably would have sprung for that one, even though it's double the price. I'll try mine out later today, just to make sure it actually works.

For me, 400 watts should be enough. I will still have the battery powered devices, and I already have about $50+ worth of D and AA batteries (batteries were very hard to find after Frances hit, and I got them when I could.). Publix seemed to have the best (only) supply of batteries after the crisis, btw. Forget Walmart unless you show up at 4am when the truck is unloaded.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center