Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Jul 07 2005 10:06 PM
Re: Storm Surge?

Quote:

I've been reading this forum all day with interest (despite the fact that I'm not allowed to be on the Internet while at work). Am concerned that Ft. Myers will be in the dread right front quadrant, as the storm passes by to the south and west....

I had a question regarding storm surge. I have an aunt who lives on a canal that leads out to the GOM. How far/close does Dennis have to be before she will feel storm surge effects? The only data I've been able to find regarding storm surge is for a direct hit. Thanks!

Estimates of storm surge will come through your local NWS office once the tropical storm or hurricane warning is posted. In your situation, as well as mine, I live along the coast north of Tampa, it will depend on how close the storm is, how intense it is, and its forward motion. What I can tell you is that winds will be strong intially from the SE and then once the storm moves north of your latitude, they will swing to the SW and push storm tides into the coastal region. My geuss at this point, if the current track holds, maybe 3-5 feet becuz we'll likely get tropical storm force winds out of the SW. Think of recent tropical storms (Gabrielle) and that's what is likely now. Of course, if this thing hugs the coast, & is a CAT 3 or 4, it'll be time to evacuate.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center