Bev
(Weather Guru)
Fri Jul 08 2005 01:05 AM
Re: Brief 8pm Update

Quote:

"My advice, from having experienced the exact scenario above is to protect yourself where you are unless you have a VERY good reason for being elsewhere. i.e. You live in a mobile home. "

<snip>....My point is, while some say they have riden storms out, they have been LUCKY. Don't risk your life - follow emergency management's decision for your area. and zone.

You missed my point entirely. My point was that you just might have to "ride it out" no matter where you evacuate to, so you should be prepared to do exactly that, whether you stay where you are or flee to a county that isn't even under an evacuation order.

I fled because they told me to flee. The windspeed where I fled from never got above 40 mph. I went where they told me to go. There, the windspeed was 140 mph.

That's my point, you simply cannot KNOW where you will be safe, and neither can the experts. Be prepared, prepared, prepared, wherever you are.

I wasn't trying to be brave and ride it out, I was fleeing, trying to keep my family safe. After my experience, I realize that some common sense is in order and that the "officials" don't always have a perfect handle on it.

I had hoped for intelligent discussion on how to protect yourself where you are, and not always relying on "head somewhere else". Because sometimes you can't head somewhere else, you find it on your heels despite trying to get away from it. I am not a brave advocate of "riding it out",. I'm simply a concerned mother trying to keep my family safe.

-Bev

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center