ddocks70s
(Registered User)
Fri Jul 08 2005 02:23 PM
Re: Question for Clark..or any Met here!

I have only been in 2 Hurricanes. Georges in Key Largo and Andrew in the gables. Lots of "mandatory evacuations" Have done considerable research on historical storms that have hit the Keys. I have learned some things. My evacuation from the MM105 area in 1992 was unneccesary. But at the time, I thought it would come ashore further south than Homestead. When Georges came calling in 1998. I did not evacuate. I knew that it would not be too bad for the relatively high ground in Upper Key Largo. Further south had some flooding and storm surge. Donna hit the Upper Keys in 1960 and was much stronger. It emptied all of the water out of Blackwater Sound. Yet the higher ground in Key Largo was not covered with saltwater. The famous 1935 storm devastated the Matecumbes. Islamorada is not a place to ride out anything beyond a CAT2. Key West, on the other hand, has weathered storms well in the past, and hasn't had a monster in a long time. If I lived in Marathon, there have been many storms that would have driven me south to KW instead of Miami. This one, Dennis, I'm not so sure. Key West might host this CAT4. I hope it swings out past the Marquesas and the Fort but it doesn't look good.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center