Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Jul 08 2005 04:59 PM
Re: Dennis Deepens

I am very glad to have found this site. My brother is with the Sheriff's Dept in Jackson Co, MS, living in Pascagoula only blocks from the Gulf. This is where we grew up but I don't live there now. This site has been very helpful and I was able last night to learn quite a bit. I was able to find some good web pages to send to him.

Last year, with Ivan, I went to the NOAA web site and looked directly at all the GOM buoy info, and that is how I found the very large wave height that one buoy experienced south of Dauphin Island. That was a nail-biter. I was so relieved when it passed east of Pascagoula. A direct hit or a hit just west would really be devastating to them. My brother has to stay because of his job, and his job is very risky, and so of course every time one of these heads their way I am concerned.

I know it is too soon to tell, but it does appear more likely that it will pass to the east of the MS/AL state line.

I noticed one post from someone who wanted to know if it would be a good idea to drive down to Pensacola to experience the hurricane. Not a good idea at all. Actually can't believe anyone would want to do something like that. Living through the aftermath of Camille believe me you wouldn't want to be somewhere where there is the potential to end up with no electricity, roads under water or debris, no stores open to buy food, maybe no gas stations open, etc. I will never forget seeing the sections of the Ocean Springs Biloxi bridge each moved several feet up or down, or right or left, of the next one; I was 13 at the time.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center